[Dev] Qt in Tizen - project proposal

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Oct 23 07:17:20 GMT 2013

On quarta-feira, 23 de outubro de 2013 08:41:01, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> On 23 October 2013 05:56, Kim, Yoonsoo <yesarang.kim at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [..]
>
> > But I have a quick question. I think this question is very important
> > because the answer will set the scope of discussion on this matter.
> >
> > Do you intend to include Qt in Tizen compliance? If you do, in what
> > profiles do you want to include Qt?
> >
> > I think whether Qt is included in profile(s) or not will make huge
> > architectural differences.
>
> Hi Yoonsoo,
> At the moment we're proposing Qt as add-on, optional packages.
>
> Yes that's true, Tizen architecture would have to change towards even
> more modular if Qt is a mandatory component. We would like to leave
> final decision to owners of individual profiles, offering our support
> and expertise.

The same way that we may have a "Mobile minus native" compliance profile, we
might end up with a "Mobile plus Qt".

But I agree with Jaroslaw here: it's too early to tell. Right now, it's more
about integrating it with the infrastructure, making sure it builds, works
properly if installed by an OEM.

In addition, the on-going discussion of 3rdparty library installation feature
can potentially have a lot of impact on this. If we come up with a way for 3rd
party libraries to be installed, this could be a way for distributing Qt to
devices without affecting compliance.