[Dev] Tizen 3.0 : Optimizing applications launch time

Stéphane Desneux stephane.desneux at eurogiciel.fr
Thu Oct 24 14:10:44 GMT 2013

Hi Brad,

On 19/10/2013 00:12, Peters, Brad T wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Stéphane Desneux
> <stephane.desneux at eurogiciel.fr <mailto:stephane.desneux at eurogiciel.fr>>
> wrote:
>     Conclusion: stripping the binaries has a great impact:
>     - smaller image size: faster to load from storage, faster to
>     download from tizen.org <http://tizen.org> (and more bandwidth for
>     everyone ;-))
>     - faster application launch, at least for WRT
>

> 3.0 is still quite unstable, so it may be premature to discuss
> optimizing launch times or space usage.
> For 2.2,however, we should absolutely pursue this.
> I had to go back and check... to my amazement, 2.1 is un-stripped as
> well.  This should absolutely be changed,
> if we can do so at this late date

As indicated previously, the debuginfo packages are built. So even for
unstable 3.x images, stripping can be activated: it's always possible to
install the debuginfo packages on a target device to debug a core dump.

IMO, stripping should be activated for all profiles, for any kind of
snapshot (release, alpha, development ...).

I haven't seen any bug for this. Should I fill one ?

If so, what's the best way to proceed ? As the problem is common to
multiple profiles: 1 bug for all profiles (where?) or 1 bug per profile ?

Kind Regards,
Stéphane

--
Stéphane DESNEUX