[Dev] User management for multi-user systems

Zaman, Imran imran.zaman at intel.com
Mon Oct 28 13:30:04 GMT 2013

Hi Karol!

> Related to our multi-user support proposal, we have now published
> sources for the the user management daemon and client library. These are
> intended for creating user management GUI where end-user admin can
> manage user accounts, groups and possible permissions. It is also used
> by the login manager for certain tasks, mostly related to guest users.
>
> The project is still work-in-progress, but we believe in releasing in
> early phase to enable discussion and open development model.

Could you please give some background information about this
project?  Namely, I wonder what is intended difference between
this project and freedesktop's AccountsService[1]?

For my untrained eye these look very similar.

  [1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/AccountsService/

Thanks for your comments..

Main objective is to provide dbus APIs for creating/deleting/updating users/groups through gumd.
There are some similarities between accountservice and gumd from the APIs perspective, but there are some notable differences as well.
- accountservice does not provide any APIs for groups creation/deletion/updation.
- multiple credentials per user (e.g. password and NFC tag) support is also planned to be added to gumd, which does not exist in accountservice.
- accounts service is mostly a wrapper around command line scripts (e.g. "/usr/sbin/useradd") and systemd-login APIs, whereas gumd does not depend on any command line scripts.
- gumd focuses on related functionality of user and groups creation/deletion only, whereas accountservice mixes user creation/deletion, seat related info, login/session info etc into one component.

BR
imran
Intel Finland Oy
Registered Address: PL 281, 00181 Helsinki
Business Identity Code: 0357606 - 4
Domiciled in Helsinki