[Dev] 3rd party so library installation feature

Jussi Laako jussi.laako at linux.intel.com
Mon Oct 28 13:46:05 GMT 2013

On 28.10.2013 1:19, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> see above. ppa's. it's not a single build point once you start using
> ppa's for libs the  distro does not provide. of the software i use day
> to day.. MOST of it doesn't come from the distro vendor. at least most
> in terms of function and effect to me. it's self-compiled over in
> /usr/local

For long time I was having lot of stuff in /usr/local, but I gave up and
started to actually package all the self-built things properly, because
keeping the /usr/local nice and tidy from old obsolete shared library
versions and such was too much effort.

Packaged things also make things easier to replace distro-vendor
packages with my own versions because dependencies don't break.

It is also nice because if for example some friend wants to have a
latest version of Octave for openSUSE, I can just give them package
repository URL and they can add it and keep their things up-to-date.