[Dev] Tizen 3.0 Multiuser support architecture proposition

Carsten Haitzler c.haitzler at samsung.com
Tue Oct 29 03:27:30 GMT 2013

On 10/29/2013 12:20 PM, Leibowitz, Michael wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 2:36 AM, Dominig ar Foll (Intel OTC)
> <dominig.arfoll at fridu.net> wrote:
>>>    Actually there is a minor issue for $HOME directory. On the *NIX world, the actual user directory is /home/{username}. However, I proposed /opt/usr/uid instead of /opt/usr/username. There is subtle issue of assigning username in the literal form and I think using uid instead of username is fine. The file standard hierarchy does not specify the user directory name in detail and we just need to maintain symbolic link of /home correctly.
>> I do not think that deriving from the reliable and well accepted method of using the $HOME is the good idea.
>> Getting the $HOME from the environment is easy and reliable. It has proven its value over the years.
> If you want the home directory, use getpwnam or similar API.  Don't
> rely on the environment.

i would suggest to rely on $HOME - because it can be changed to redirect
the homedir - eg temporarily or for specific emulation, testing or
isolation purposes. this is based on experience. i used to use getpwnam
but at some point in the past hit a problem (i forgot what it was now)
but i had to switch to $HOME.