[Dev] User management for multi-user systems

Jussi Laako jussi.laako at linux.intel.com
Tue Oct 29 12:35:48 GMT 2013

On 28.10.2013 17:53, Karol Lewandowski wrote:
> I have checked who is currently using AccountService, and there
> doesn't seem that many clients.  On my Debian machine I've found
> just two applications - gnome-control-center and gdm3.

I would say it is likely that over time it would gain dependencies
towards gnome3 libraries that would prove to be challenging to include
in Tizen. We would like to keep strictly minimal dependencies.

> Still, I think it would be wise to consider fixing and
> extending Accounts - today's redundant functionality
> might be useful for us tomorrow (seat info wrt to multiuser
> works), missing bits can be provided and bugs fixed in common
> code so that all of OSS would benefit.

I'm afraid that the discussions about how and what to include in those
gnome components would end up in long winding discussions and still
eventually in an unoptimal Tizen specific fork of the codebase.

This way at least we have more predictable project and more freedom to
grow it in directions we want.

I've seen similar challenges with gnome-keyring and
gnome-online-accounts to know that the wishes don't necessarily match.
It would probably be just fine if Tizen would be gnome3 based overall
with all the other gnome components.

In our architecture seat infos and such are handled by TLM (Tizen Login
Manager) - to be pushed to public repository next. We would like to keep
login and seat related functionality separate.