[Dev] Tizen 3.0 Configuration System

Kok, Auke-jan H auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com
Thu Oct 31 17:56:04 GMT 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 8:58 PM, 김정훈 <david_kim31 at samsung.com> wrote:
> Dear Auke,
>
> Here is the timeline of Tizen 3.0 Configuration System.
>
> Tizen 3.0 Configuration System: Agreed to move forward with new Configuration system that will provide client-server key-value support for Tizen 3.0.  The timeline we agreed to is:
> •       We start immediately with Auke-jan and Jung Hoon (David) Kim as the leads
> •       Sept 30th: Initial draft of the specification / API definition on tizen3dev
> •       Oct 15th: Prototype implementation for Tizen 3.0 to begin migration of VConf to new configuration system on tizen.org
> •       Nov 15th: We would have migrated 6-12 services/apps.  Prototype for notification will be implemented.  Evaluate milestones beyond Dec 15th.
> •       Dec 15th: The API will be frozen and all code available in Alpha quality.
> •       Mar 15th: Beta quality code with VConf removed completely from Tzien 3.0
>
> We need to check the current status of each items.
> If possible, could you send the draft version of API definition?

Code is already well underway, but the client side API is not
finalized - it is being crystallized out at this point.

Code is of course being developed here:  github.com/sofar/buxton

here is the status of the project:

- the project contains about 10kLOC, contains testing framework tools,
is fully compiling, installable and running on any Smack enabled
system that meets the requirements

- major components that are reaching feature complete:
  1) Service daemon core
  2) cli user client
  3) gdbm backend plugin
  4) memory backend plugin

- current focus points are:
  a) do layer resolution code and Smack enforcement
  b) initial client side API and library

- "not yet" done - planned for later:
  I) notifications

The code can get/set values currently through the client socket API. I
ran a test and I can get and/or set about 70k keys per second through
a client socket connection (this was a quick test using a single key
to either store or read many times through the same connection).

The daemon is already socket activated, can handle thousands of
clients (tested - the design is unlimited but the linux settings will
make it run out of file descriptors) and most of the internals are now
done.

I welcome everyone to help out with the code and provide feedback.

Schedule wise, I expect to be well underway with the client side API
in about 2 weeks or so, at which point we'll do a test conversion from
VConf to buxton.

Cheers,

Auke