[Dev] Setting dash as default shell (or getting rid of bash)

Aleksander Zdyb a.zdyb at partner.samsung.com
Fri Sep 27 05:39:20 GMT 2013

On 26.09.2013 15:45, De Marchi, Lucas wrote:
> [...]

Lucas,

you're correct. I realize, it is impossible to get rid of bash. And I
even don't want to.
All I said was, that I'm preparing a minimal image, and by that I mean
like 20 packages of total size < 30 MiB (investigating if it's even
possible, really). And in this situation, saving 0.5 MiB on just one
package is quite a lot, isn't it?

Now, I'm going to clean needed packages out of bashisms and see if it's
even feasible. I don't really expect anyone to be much enthusiastic
about it, but just ask for not providing artificial dependencies in
future packaging work, if possible.

In addition, please note, that in even larger distributions, bash is not
really needed as far as systemd is used for booting and no text user
interface is provided (for input).

I will keep the group updated about progress on my work and hopefully
share more numbers.

--
Aleksander Zdyb