[Dev] Setting dash as default shell (or getting rid of bash)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Sep 27 17:33:41 GMT 2013

On sexta-feira, 27 de setembro de 2013 12:09:17, Leandro Pereira wrote:
> If you're concerned about binary size, you could use a binary packer
> such as UPX. A quick test here, compressing my own shell (on a x86-64
> machine) yields pretty good compression. UPX decompresses really quickly
> so it's very unlikely it'll become a bottleneck:

Binary compression is a trade-off between disk space usage and RAM usage.
Depending on the system, it might also be a security risk.

That's because the decompressor needs writable pages to decompress the image
to, then mark it as executable. Hopefully, the decompressor moves from RW to
RX instead of RWX, but you need to check that. And in any case, since those
pages aren't backed by actual files on disk, the kernel must use the swap if it
needs to discard the pages, even the unused pages.