[Dev] Setting dash as default shell (or getting rid of bash)

Carsten Haitzler c.haitzler at samsung.com
Mon Sep 30 02:49:53 GMT 2013

On 09/28/2013 02:33 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On sexta-feira, 27 de setembro de 2013 12:09:17, Leandro Pereira wrote:
>> If you're concerned about binary size, you could use a binary packer
>> such as UPX. A quick test here, compressing my own shell (on a x86-64
>> machine) yields pretty good compression. UPX decompresses really quickly
>> so it's very unlikely it'll become a bottleneck:
> Binary compression is a trade-off between disk space usage and RAM usage.
> Depending on the system, it might also be a security risk.
>
> That's because the decompressor needs writable pages to decompress the image
> to, then mark it as executable. Hopefully, the decompressor moves from RW to
> RX instead of RWX, but you need to check that. And in any case, since those
> pages aren't backed by actual files on disk, the kernel must use the swap if it
> needs to discard the pages, even the unused pages.

if anything this would be best done with filesystem native compression
(ala cramfs) and then the pages are at least backed and shared. :)
short-term this only helps if we move to use cramfs, but longer-term it
may be a valid "todo list" item to look at adding transparent
decompression to btrfs/f2fs/ext4 etc.

The above message is intended solely for the named addressee and may
contain trade secret, industrial technology or privileged and
confidential information otherwise protected under applicable law
including the Unfair Competition Prevention and Trade Secret Protection
Act. Any unauthorized dissemination, distribution, copying or use of the
information contained in this communication is strictly prohibited. If
by email and delete this communication immediately.