[Dev] Creating a Wayland based Tizen Mobile image

Fu, Michael michael.fu at intel.com
Mon Sep 30 09:03:25 GMT 2013

Hi,

I'm writing to propose doing a Wayland based Tizen Mobile release in
3.0 development cycle. For those who don't know about Wayland, here is
the upstream project home page http://wayland.freedesktop.org/. In
short, Wayland is a protocol for a compositor to talk to its clients as
well as a C library implementation of that protocol. It provides a
lighter architecture compared with X and can bring potential to Tizen
on footprint size/ power / performance optimization and more feature
set. In terms of compositor choices, we now have Weston, the reference
compositor implementation from Wayland project, and Enlightment are
undergoing active development. Tizen IVI has been using
Wayland/Weston. So I think it's about the time to start integrating
Wayland into Tizen Mobile.

To understand how high the water is, We also tried to lift up X11
dependents with a compatibility library and created a Weston-powered
X11-free Tizen 2.x build. Roughly, the effort can trim about 60+ X11
related packages at the cost of modifying about 120+ packages. It turned
out most of the changes were lite. On top of this, we've worked out
solutions for major gaps migrating from X to Wayland, such as webkit,
multimedia, input method, etc. Some of them have been shared with the
IVI build. However, depends on are written in EFL, the migration to
Wayland may not be completely transparent to native application or
framework developers. There are also gaps remains and need efforts such
as OSP. Though we will provide knowledge sharing and utilities to help
the porting, we need more Tizen developers to port their work to
Wayland. I am appreciated for your collaboration when you see bug report
requesting porting to Wayland

thanks,
Michael