[Dev] Last call for maintainer before force "Accept" "Submit" (slow progress)

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) tizen at rasterman.com
Thu Apr 3 14:38:05 GMT 2014

On Thu, 03 Apr 2014 14:53:22 +0200 Zofia Abramowska <z.abramowska at samsung.com>
said:

> [...]

we are getting complaints on no action after just a few days (dominig
complained after 3 days).

2 weeks is pretty generous to just respond to a ping. as a comparison - i just
removed commit access from a bunch of people who haven't committed for more
than 6 months (to an upstream project) -- went over logs to see who has
committed. they had about 3 days to respond to ask to get off the "purge" list.
everyone who wanted off and had a reason responded within that time. 3 days
worked well there.

the point of a ping is to find out which people are not responding quickly and
2 weeks is generous as a margin of "respond quickly". many may newver read this
mailing list or are even subscribed. that means they are unreachable except
directly and personally and a project cant be sustained if everything has to be
a direct personal contact.

> When it comes to maintainers, maybe there should be some mechanism to
> temporarily pass the rights of maintainer to someone else, when he/she is
> not able to fulfill his/her role.

that is not the problem. it's not a temporary thing. it seems to be continual
where things are not being reviewed for many weeks or even months on end. so if
someone happened to go on holiday for 2 weeks, then they can catch up when they
come back. that is not the case here. when it's your job to respond to review
requests in a timely fashion, then you certainly respond within 2 weeks or
ensure someone is responding for you if you will be away for an extended time
(and very few people will be, as most people involved in review here are in
countries where you can barely even take 2 weeks off in an entire year).

--
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <tizen at rasterman.com>