[Dev] [SDK/Emulator] Change the way we run the emulator

Stanislav Vorobiov s.vorobiov at samsung.com
Wed Apr 9 06:34:36 GMT 2014

Hi, SeokYeon

See below.

On 04/09/2014 10:20 AM, 황석연 wrote:
> I'd like to change the way we run the emulator.
>

> 1. Instead of running "emulator-x86" binary immediately, wrap it using shell script or batch script.
>
> - Since the emergence of environment variables such as LD_LIBRARY_PATH, it's inconvenient to run without the Emulator Manager.
>
> - Avoid modifying the Emulator Manager binary when additional requirements arise.
>
> (Try to minimize hard-coded parts in the Emulator Manager binary)
I think that's a good idea. BTW, regarding running from command line, this is how I always do it:
* I don't use emulator-x86 at all, since it's only produced by "make install" and this takes longer than just "make"
* "make" produces only "qemu-system-i386", so I launch like this: ../../../i386-softmmu/qemu-system-i386 [args]
* and because emulator searches for skin in its directory I copy emulator-skin.jar and swt.jar from "bin" to "../../../i386-softmmu"
  after each clean install, i.e. "make distclean"
It would also be great to simplify this or at least not complicate. But as far as I understand with new wrapper script
I can just change path to "../../../i386-softmmu/qemu-system-i386" and that's it

> 2. Hide the default emulator run arguments using qemu "readconfig".
>
> - Enhance usability when running the emulator using commandline.
>
> - Move as many options as possible to the config file except the ones configured in the emulator-manager.
>
> - Progress as the first step to organize the emulator arguments.
That's great. We can also have different predefined configs for different targets, so that
for example after a clean checkout we can run emulator right away from command line for different kinds
of targets. BTW, do qemu config files support environment variables ?