[Dev] about buxton

Kok, Auke-jan H auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com
Wed Apr 9 23:44:14 GMT 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 4:29 AM, Michael Ikey Doherty
<michael.i.doherty at intel.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-04-08 at 11:25 +0000, Jiyoung Yun wrote:
>>
>> I heard buxton uses dbus but when i see the code, it uses socket.
>>
>> I think there is a reason to be changed.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me why it was changed ?
>
> Buxton has never used dbus, it has always used a unix socket, which is
> invariably provided by systemd activation (Though its possible to start
> manually for testing).

The choice -not- to use dbus was made on purpose, as it would have
forced us to implement something like PolicyKit in order to do
security - making things very complex really quick.

I've previously stated that I'm -not opposed- to making buxton use
e.g. kdbus, but there is no immediate benefit from that, and would
likely lower performance. Also kdbus isn't ready, period.

Out of curiosity, why do you think that using DBus instead would be
better than the current approach?

Auke