[Dev] Cynara

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) tizen at rasterman.com
Thu Apr 10 23:14:33 GMT 2014

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 17:49:50 +0300 Jussi Laako <jussi.laako at linux.intel.com>
said:

> On 10.4.2014 15:20, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > and what do you do when kernel is malicious (compromised) ? :) or
> > hypervisor? again - you have to trust at some point. my point here is the
> > display server is an element of a trusted system. and to the original topic
> > - if a user can do it, it has access too.
>
> Idea is to split things such way, that compromising component A or B
> doesn't expose A*B=C. You would need to compromise A and B
> simultaneously. And restrict the number, interface and size of the
> components where exploit would grant access to protected data.
>
> Have you seen many malicious exploits out there for IBM's LPAR / z/VM?
>

> Btw, why the heck display server has any access to input methods anyway?
> It's _DISPLAY_ server and not keyboard or mouse server...

1. read waylands protocol specs.
2. write a window manager one day
3. read x11 protocol specs
4. once you do these, you'll know why. (it's an essential part of input routing
and focus management, as well as shortcuts, mouse pointer control and routing
- only display server knows WHERE the mouse or touch point is pointing to on
screen, and routes the mouse events appropriately).

--
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <tizen at rasterman.com>