[Dev] Cynara + multi-user + HOME

Jussi Laako jussi.laako at linux.intel.com
Tue Apr 15 08:02:50 GMT 2014

On 15.4.2014 10:37, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> My understanding of the multi-user architecture was that user
> applications and services will use $HOME. Perhaps someone working on
> that can comment?

Yes, that was the idea to follow XDG. And Dominique strictly forbid any
data cleanup scripts/hooks at user deletion time, so only $HOME is
cleaned up by gumd. Any data elsewhere is left untouched (although I
think we can also delete /var/mail/<username>). In any case I would like
to revisit this because certainly some data will end up stored somewhere
else.

Because uid's get reused when deleting/creating users, leaving data
around the system is potential privacy problem.