[Dev] Tizen RPM macros now defines %suse_version : good or not ?

Stéphane Desneux stephane.desneux at open.eurogiciel.org
Thu Aug 7 10:08:51 GMT 2014

Hi all,

Recently, Yury Usishchev added a patch over the rpm package:
https://review.tizen.org/gerrit/#/c/25292/

This patch adds the %suse_version definition to rpm-tizen_macros.

This broke the build for some packages that use %suse_version in
Tizen:Common and I opened a bug for that:
https://bugs.tizen.org/jira/browse/TC-1474

I see two cases:
- a package must be built into Tizen and into openSuse. Example: mic,
kickstarter, ... and maybe other tools that have a single spec file for
multiple distros (including tizen)
- a package is specific to Tizen but the spec file was initially copied
from openSUSE (and may contain some tests on %suse_version which should
be removed).

>From what Yury told me, the base reason to add %suse_version was:
"%suse_version macro is checked by 'build' script and enables cumulate
install. It is believed to be a bit faster and reduces number of errors
with msm.so." So it was added for good reasons. But maybe it's not the
proper way to fix the base problem.

So my final question is simple: is it desirable to define %suse_version
into Tizen ?

IMO, the answer should be *no* and we should rollback to the previous
state for all impacted packages (rpm, icecream, mic, kickstarter,
python-yaml, ...). But this also means that the special ops done by
'build' when it detects the %suse_version macro should be done also when
%tizen_version is defined. Is it something that the Tools team can
investigate ?

Best regards,
--
Stéphane Desneux