[Dev] Tizen RPM macros now defines %suse_version : good or not ?

Kanevskiy, Alexander alexander.kanevskiy at intel.com
Thu Aug 7 12:03:09 GMT 2014

On 07/08/14 13:08 , "Stéphane Desneux"
<stephane.desneux at open.eurogiciel.org> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Recently, Yury Usishchev added a patch over the rpm package:
>https://review.tizen.org/gerrit/#/c/25292/
>
>This patch adds the %suse_version definition to rpm-tizen_macros.
>
>This broke the build for some packages that use %suse_version in
>Tizen:Common and I opened a bug for that:
>https://bugs.tizen.org/jira/browse/TC-1474
>
>I see two cases:
>- a package must be built into Tizen and into openSuse. Example: mic,
>kickstarter, ... and maybe other tools that have a single spec file for
>multiple distros (including tizen)
>- a package is specific to Tizen but the spec file was initially copied
>from openSUSE (and may contain some tests on %suse_version which should
>be removed).
>
>From what Yury told me, the base reason to add %suse_version was:
>"%suse_version macro is checked by 'build' script and enables cumulate
>install. It is believed to be a bit faster and reduces number of errors
>with msm.so." So it was added for good reasons. But maybe it's not the
>proper way to fix the base problem.
>

>So my final question is simple: is it desirable to define %suse_version
>into Tizen ?
>

>IMO, the answer should be *no* and we should rollback to the previous
>state for all impacted packages (rpm, icecream, mic, kickstarter,
>python-yaml, ...). But this also means that the special ops done by
>'build' when it detects the %suse_version macro should be done also when
>%tizen_version is defined. Is it something that the Tools team can
>investigate ?

IMO, we should not define %suse_version, as Tizen is not openSuSE.

As for msm.so errors - those can be ignored, as this module critical to
work on target system or during image creation. During package build, this
module is useless, and failing to load of ARM binary plugin into cross-rpm
(rpm-x86) does not causes any issues except warning messages in the logs.