[Dev] can we please merge xlib/util pkgs?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Wed Aug 20 02:48:47 GMT 2014

in the last week i have gotten 280 mails from gerrit about review
requests/merges/whatever in every single x library and util. you get multiple
mails per package.

it's really silly. they are all upgrades together... why not just package them
together. simplify things. just have an "x libs" pkg with all x library and
relevant util repos pulled in as sub repos. it makes so much more sense. :)

i know the upstream has them split. this is something we can't do anything
about.

i also get one for mobile, one for ivi:panda too. the exact same  patch set,
review request etc.

basically this should really be a single review of a single "upgrade x11 stuff"
for example. if we have to review instead 280  submissiongs instead of maybe
just 4 (which is about the number of versions of the submission i saw)...
that's going to lead to:

1. not bothering to even review/approve. too much noise and going through
gerrit 100's of times as opposed to 4 is going to have me prioritise such
things at the very end of my todo list, after the "flossing the cat" item.

or

2. poor and "quick and dirty" reviews that actually dont review antyhing and
just rubber-stamp things. if we are just rubber-stamping, then whu bother with
gerrit? just allow commit access and save the work and lag. if there is a
mistake someone can revert it from git.

so i am thinking we should rationalize our packaging and/or use of gerrit.
where it stands now is not in a good state.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com