[Dev] can we please merge xlib/util pkgs?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) tizen at rasterman.com
Thu Aug 21 09:01:25 GMT 2014

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 02:00:05 +0200 Stéphane Desneux
<stephane.desneux at open.eurogiciel.org> said:

> +2
>
> Oops... That was a spurious review :)
>
> More seriously, I agree with you. For big ops like bumping the whole X11
> stuff and adding ~100 new packages in Tizen:Common, a review for each package
> is not necessary as multiple maintainers and REs are already working on the
> topic together.
>
> So bypassing Gerrit when hundreds or reviews are needed gives less noise, for
> sure. And grouping packages together as one, would certainly help too.
>
> But on the counterpart, things that Gerrit does (communication between
> developers) wouldn't be done if maintainers push --force on their git trees.
>
> => so we should get some compromise: when such a big operation is started,
> the steps should be announced here (dev mailing list), some consensus should
> arise (say it's a +2 :)) and the progress on the tasks should be regularly
> updated. This way, most reviews related to the topic could be avoided, but
> people would still know what's going on.

that was why i thought that maybe merging where commonly N packages are all
upgraded/dealth with as a group, into a single gerrit repo, so we still get
notifications but just a few of them instead of 100's. we sitll have visibility
and ability to even approve/deny (if its just an upgrade i'd likely just approve
anyway), and we have lower noise.

> For the X11 integration in T:Common, Boram Park did communicate here and I
> felt this sufficient for everybody to know what was going on (and yes,
> reviews in gerrit were mostly useless even if this follows the official
> workflow).

yeah. it was really just unneeded noise that is a result of our use of
gerrit in the way we do. :)

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <tizen at rasterman.com>