[Dev] [Cynara] Async admin API proposal

José Bollo jose.bollo at open.eurogiciel.org
Thu Aug 21 15:43:17 GMT 2014

Hello,

On gio, 2014-08-21 at 17:30 +0200, Jacek Bukarewicz wrote:
> On 08/21/2014 04:01 PM, Patrick Ohly wrote:
>
> Hi,

(snip)

> I see cache-hit case handling as the biggest difference between these
> versions. When the answer is available in the up-to-date cache:
>   variant #1
>    cynara_async_check will return immediately (also invoking callback).
>
>   variant #2
>    cynara_async_check won't return the result immediately even if it's
> in the cache.  Check result callback will only be invoked in
> cynara_async_process which typically is called after main loop's
> poll/select (when data is available). User can always call
> cynara_async_process immediately after the cynara_async_check to get the
> results (if available) but that's in my opinion more awkward and less
> efficient. Furthermore one must be prepared to process pending responses
> which for some reason service might not want to handle at that point.
> The upside is that it's probably slightly easier to implement from
> library point of view.
>
> Personally I strongly prefer solution in variant #1

If the case is well documented, I also prefer it. After calling
cynara_async_check, the thread will probably return to the main loop. So
it is a good optimisation. Maybe a drawback if not reentrant mutexes are
used to protect some data because the callback may be called before the
scoped ressources are released.

Best regards
José