[Dev] Issues on converting from vconf to buxton

Carsten Haitzler c.haitzler at samsung.com
Mon Aug 25 02:24:17 GMT 2014

On 08/23/2014 03:41 AM, Peters, Brad T wrote:
> Hi Carsten, Semun,
>
> I agree, abstracting away the direct ecore_main loop manipulation
> makes sense, but as this implementation would be Tizen specific,
> it wouldn't belong in Buxton upstream. Could easily branch Buxton for
> Tizen though.

efl is not tizen specific. not in any way or form.

> Carsten,
> I'm not quite clear on the intent of your message.  "in efl land, we
> don't go forcing people to do this" - Do what?
> Call ecore_main_fd_handler_add() directly?  I *think* you're
> supporting Semun's statement, but you may be doing
> exactly the opposite ;)

we dont go encouragiing, forcing or otherwise peolpe touse fd handlers.
it's a very custom/specific solution intended to deal with raw fd's *IF*
absolutely needed.

we make a library/api wrapper that does this for them. they just init
the lib, openb some config and it's all silently done behind the scenes
for them. they don't need to know that an fd even exists. make their
lives easier and reduce the number of things to go wrong.

in this example we'd create some config object (these days using eo
files to generate the whole object infra/templates), and this object
would allow callbacks to be attached. those callbacks would deal with
any async events. methods/properties would deal with direct interaction.