[Dev] [Gerrit-status] Total number of commits to review and merge: 710

Kévin THIERRY kevin.thierry at open.eurogiciel.org
Mon Aug 25 15:42:37 GMT 2014

Hi everyone !

I created a new tool that generates charts based on Gerrit information.
Now instead of sending huge, unreadable arrays of data, I will just send
those charts.

I currently generate 3 charts:
1) One to represent the number of reviews sent to gerrit and the number
of merges per week (moving average based on 5 weeks, 6 months displayed)
- average-reviews-per-week.png
2) One to represent the average time needed to review and merge a commit
(moving average based on 5 weeks, 6 months displayed) - merge-time.png
3) One to represent the number of commits being reviewed (moving average
based on 3 weeks, 8 height weeks displayed) -
average-being-reviewed-per-week.png

1) and 2) can be generated at any time since they concern merged commits
whereas 3) requires to fetch Gerrit data once a week (the current data
set is based on the data sent in the previous "Gerrit-status" mails).

The purpose of those charts is to monitor the health of the review
process and, by a certain extent, the health of the Tizen project.

Of course the data represented with those charts is more or less
relevant. For example, the time needed to review and merge a commit goes
from a few minutes to a few weeks so the average value may not reflect
the real time most of the commits spent being reviewed. Also, regarding
the number of commits being reviewed (chart 3) I sometimes fetched the
data on Monday early morning instead of Friday afternoon so it may have
an impact on the data. I will set a cron job to prevent that in the future.

The tool I used (written in python) still contains hard coded values and
is quite ugly right now so I will publish it on github once I've cleaned
it up a bit.

Here is a few improvements I plan on doing on the script when I'll have
time:
* display dates on the axis instead of weeks numbers (the last week
number on the charts is the last finished week)
* display days and hours in the y axis of chart 2 instead of just hours
* allow generation of bar charts
* integrate the bash script that generates data for chart 3 into the
python script
* ...

If you have any suggestions/ideas/questions or if you find some errors,
please contact me.

You can still find the tool I use to get the number of commits being
reviewed here: https://github.com/eurogiciel-oss/Tizen-development-report

Kevin