[Dev] [Gerrit-status] Total number of commits to review and merge: 710

Whiteman, John L john.l.whiteman at intel.com
Mon Aug 25 15:54:33 GMT 2014

Nice work, Kevin!

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Dev [mailto:dev-bounces at lists.tizen.org] On Behalf Of Kévin THIERRY
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 8:43 AM
To: dev at lists.tizen.org
Subject: [Dev] [Gerrit-status] Total number of commits to review and merge:
710

Hi everyone !

I created a new tool that generates charts based on Gerrit information.
Now instead of sending huge, unreadable arrays of data, I will just send
those charts.

I currently generate 3 charts:
1) One to represent the number of reviews sent to gerrit and the number of
merges per week (moving average based on 5 weeks, 6 months displayed)
- average-reviews-per-week.png
2) One to represent the average time needed to review and merge a commit
(moving average based on 5 weeks, 6 months displayed) - merge-time.png
3) One to represent the number of commits being reviewed (moving average
based on 3 weeks, 8 height weeks displayed) -
average-being-reviewed-per-week.png

1) and 2) can be generated at any time since they concern merged commits
whereas 3) requires to fetch Gerrit data once a week (the current data set
is based on the data sent in the previous "Gerrit-status" mails).

The purpose of those charts is to monitor the health of the review process
and, by a certain extent, the health of the Tizen project.

Of course the data represented with those charts is more or less relevant.
For example, the time needed to review and merge a commit goes from a few
minutes to a few weeks so the average value may not reflect the real time
most of the commits spent being reviewed. Also, regarding the number of
commits being reviewed (chart 3) I sometimes fetched the data on Monday
early morning instead of Friday afternoon so it may have an impact on the
data. I will set a cron job to prevent that in the future.

The tool I used (written in python) still contains hard coded values and is
quite ugly right now so I will publish it on github once I've cleaned it up
a bit.

Here is a few improvements I plan on doing on the script when I'll have
time:
* display dates on the axis instead of weeks numbers (the last week number
on the charts is the last finished week)
* display days and hours in the y axis of chart 2 instead of just hours
* allow generation of bar charts
* integrate the bash script that generates data for chart 3 into the python
script
* ...

If you have any suggestions/ideas/questions or if you find some errors,
please contact me.

You can still find the tool I use to get the number of commits being
reviewed here: https://github.com/eurogiciel-oss/Tizen-development-report

Kevin