[Dev] enlightenment support wayland

Carsten Haitzler c.haitzler at samsung.com
Thu Aug 28 07:45:34 GMT 2014

On 08/28/2014 04:26 PM, Gwanglim Lee wrote:

> Hi Yan,
>

> What version of weston are you running?
>
> We are running the 1.5.0 version from distro which is using old
> xdg-shell protocol, and it doesn't get crashes.
>
> I'm guessing you are running the version from weston git?
>
> If yes, then you have to run weston client from 1.5.0.
>
> In weston git, xdg-shell protocol has been changed and this version is
> not released yet.
>
> Changed xdg-shell protocol would be included next wayland/weston
> version 1.6 that will be released on Sep.
>
> Enlightenment is going to support new xdg-shell protocol after
> releasing 1.6 wayland/weston.
>

> BR,
>
> Gwanglim
>

> p.s. And I think this kind of discussion (upstream e / efl for
> wayland) would be better to move on the upstream enlightenment-devel
> mailing list. :)

yeah. we already have too much of a bad habit of doing dev in tizen then
things not getting back upstream... then time comes to upgrade and we're
in trouble. :)

upstream, a lot of work is going into making enlightenment a prime-time
compositor stand-alone using kms/drm etc.. right now shm clients are
supported. drm (egl etc.) clients will work in the future. never fear.
work is going on at all ends.

the difference between weston and enlightenment is that weston is far
more complete in the wayland protocol stakes and in kms/drm end of
things. enlightenment is far more complete as an actual usable desktop
envrionment and has a huge set of features to draw from the efl toolkit
that don't need re-creation in a stand-alone way (eg we can just splat
text onto the compositor canvas as a text object to display debugging
and fps as the compositor *IS* an evas canvas and thus all that infra is
already done, or if you use the proxy filter features you can add blurs
and other efect to a client or object right now - evas has that code
already, though it's experiemental). it's coming from a very different
angle, with a massive featureset and easy access to more, but missing
the lower level bits that are being put in now.

we have most of the features working that a desktop env has in our
wayland compositing already. a lot of these came "for free" and others
are being poked at to de-x-ify them. all this work is going on in
upstream git repos and so that's where the activity is, expecting that
this feeds right back into tizen on an upgrade. if you have bugs/issues,
raise them upstream before things merge into tizen, so they are fixed by
the time they get into tizen.