[Dev] Changing sleep bahaviour in Tizen 3 for HTML5 Apps

McGee, Art amcgee7 at jaguarlandrover.com
Thu Aug 28 15:09:01 GMT 2014

Hello,

Here is my take on this.   Lets assume for a minute that the MediaPlayer
would halve to be running to keep the music playing.  This would indeed
require that when it goes to the background it keep running or music would
be lost.  I would suggest having optional event handlers in the JavaScript
that would allow apps to deny sleep mode or request a working level of
sleep.  Maybe the app would request that it continues to have access to
media controls.

But here is the other halve.  The MediaPlayer isn't required for the media
to be playing.  The Media playback would be handled by a Native background
process that would only be directed by MediaPlayer.  There is no need for
MediaPlayer to be active if the playlist is set and the music will just
keep playing.

I'm sure a lot more thought could go into this but I think of the web app
to be only active when a user is using it.  I would be interested in any
arguments that would require the web app to be active when the user isn't
interacting with it.  I believe most of this could be handled with useful
event handlers.

Thanks,

Art McGee
Jaguar Landrover

On 28 August 2014 02:31, Dominig ar Foll <dominig.arfoll at fridu.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I received recently an email remaining me that in Tizen 2.x when an App
> was not visible it was to be forced to sleep mode (see bellow signature
> the exact pointer in the doc).
>
> In Tizen 3 we have Profiles (in particular IVI) which offers HTML5 as
> the main development toolkit and assume that any application (including
> platform Apps) can be written in HTML5.
> As no one will accept to see the music player go to sleep (and stop
> playing any music) as soon as a the GPS will take over the screen to
> display a map or a TV stop to play live channel in a PiP when the
> program guide is displayed.
>
> In short the 2.2 model which assumes that by default an HTML5 will be
> put to sleep when not visible cannot be assumed any more in Tizen 3.
>
> There is a proposition to handle the new mode which can found here :
>

> https://docs.google.com/a/fridu.net/document/d/10L9aHQHwl5xXNwNAmn3V9T7pkbdd5DqOWDlBwJxvoGA/edit?pli=1#heading=h.kz53whwjuj98
>
> Feedback on this new model is welcome.
>
> Regards
>

> --
> Dominig ar Foll
> Senior Software Architect
> Intel Open Source Technology Centre
>

> According to Tizen core spec,
>
> https://source.tizen.org/sites/default/files/page/tizen-2.2-wrt-core-spec.pdf
> ,
> the 0320 section said: The WRT MUST suspend JavaScript execution and
> rendering (including CSS animations) when the Web Application enters an
> invisible state. Means that a web application should be changed to
> suspend status when hiding. But I've noticed that a new Tizen app
> framework design:

Art McGee
Infotainment Engineer
Jaguar Land Rover
1419 NW 14th Ave, Portland, Oregon, 97209