[Dev] State of Pending changes , how to enhance workflow ? ( Was Dear Maintainers )

Schaufler, Casey casey.schaufler at intel.com
Mon Feb 3 16:33:29 GMT 2014

From: Hanchett, Paul [mailto:phanchet at jaguarlandrover.com]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2014 8:24 AM
To: Schaufler, Casey
Cc: Łukasz Stelmach; Philippe Coval; dev at lists.tizen.org
Subject: Re: [Dev] State of Pending changes , how to enhance workflow ? ( Was Dear Maintainers )

I'll ask forgiveness in advance if this is a stupid observation-- I've not worked on many project like this:

No worries.

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 7:58 AM, Schaufler, Casey <casey.schaufler at intel.com<mailto:casey.schaufler at intel.com>> wrote:
Put the burden of getting a review on the developer.

Is that really what you want to do, if you're having a hard time finding enough developers?  It's already a pretty arcane system (at least, to me!)--maybe not to someone using it every day...

Indeed, the current system is somewhat byzantine.

To me, a reviewer risks a bit of their reputation every time they +1 a change; it's not clear to me what the benefit to them (the reviewer) might be?

That's correct. The reviewer role requires as much responsibility (maybe more) than the developer role. Today there is no incentive for anyone to take on the responsibility.

Ultimately, the maintainer is one person whos interests align with getting (good) changes checked in but probably more people than that are required.

The maintainer certainly cares (or ought to).  Our process assumes that reviewers are plentiful and eager. That does not appear to be the case.

Paul

Paul Hanchett
Infotainment Engineer
MSX on behalf of Jaguar Land Rover
One World Trade Center, 121 Southwest Salmon Street, 11th Floor, Portland, Oregon, 97204

Email: phanchet at jaguarlandrover.com<mailto:phanchet at jaguarlandrover.com>

Business Details:
Jaguar Land Rover Limited
Registered in England No: 1672070