[Dev] State of Pending changes , how to enhance workflow ? ( Was Dear Maintainers )

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Feb 3 19:32:58 GMT 2014

Em seg 03 fev 2014, às 08:21:31, Schaufler, Casey escreveu:
> > Gerrit is the tool that people use to review. Asking people to review
> > before submitting to the review tool sounds really awkward.
>
> If the tool in hand isn't suited to the job at hand it's time to
> put that tool down and pick up a different one.

If that's what it takes, then we do it.

But I'm not convinced the tool is the problem. There are lots of projects out
there using Gerrit efficiently, including Android (for which the tool was
created). So maybe the problem is not the tool, just how we're using it, or
possibly the workflow we've defined.

I personally think we have two problems with our use of Gerrit:

1) we add too many people automatically to the submissions. If we can't limit
it to 3 people, we should add no one. Let the submitter find out who to add by
doing git log or checking wiki pages.

2) restricting the submission to the maintainer or integrator causes a
bottleneck. Well, we created the position of integrator so that it wouldn't
bottleneck, so it seems we don't have enough integrators.

On the first case, it's simple: remove the script that we added that causes so
many people to be Cc'ed. On the second, it's a matter of discipline: it's the
maintainer job to ensure things get submitted. Conversely, things not getting
submitted means the maintainer is not doing his/her job and we should
investigate.