[Dev] State of Pending changes , how to enhance workflow ? ( Was Dear Maintainers )

Uimonen, Jaska jaska.uimonen at intel.com
Mon Feb 3 20:17:58 GMT 2014

Hello,

I have to agree with Thiago. I don't care what tool is
In use and I'm not particularly in love with gerrit, but
I really don't think it is the tools fault.

In my own experience we just have unclear maintainership
In many packages and submission mails get thrown to huge
Audience.

I think the amount of submission mail spam should we fixable
(I hope so), because now we have just added huge groups
To packages. I guess it should be per request basis: if you are
Interested in changes in particular package, you could subscribe.

If there are clear maintainer/maintainers in a package and you
Are not getting your patch reviewed, ping the maintainer, send
Email etc. be active. I think this is the only way in any upstream
Project. If nothing happens, situation should be Escalated, and
possibly maintainers changed. At least the Maintainers should
be able to review the patch or delegate The review to someone
else.

If maintainer tags the release, the integrators role is take the
New package to release and maybe act as final gate keeper.
Not all maintainers are building full images, they are just testing
the New packages on top of flashed images. Even if the maintainer
is building images, there might be collisions between packages
that is just impossible to detect before integration.

There's also possibility that Tizen vertical management
Makes a decision to freeze the code to achieve a certain
Milestone etc. So even you get reviewed and merged, your
Change doesn't hit the images at that very moment.

I think with couple of emails to Tizen dev you should be able
to track down the maintainer or people working on the package.
Or at least get the attention of Tizen architects or similar like
Thiago and get your business forward.

Br,
Jaska

P.S. I have probably replicated many people's thoughts,
Sorry about that, I haven't thoroughly read through every
Comment in this thread (you know it takes time, like reviewing).