[Dev] State of Pending changes , how to enhance workflow ? ( Was Dear Maintainers )

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Tue Feb 4 09:19:37 GMT 2014

It was <2014-02-03 pon 19:32>, when Patrick McCarty wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 12:24:06PM +0100, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:
>> It was <2014-01-30 czw 17:02>, when Philippe Coval wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > So here a little recap where we are as the date of today,
>> > and a few suggestions to enhance the cooperation workflow through gerrit
>> > and build/publish system.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > ### NEED TO SUBMIT TO BUILD AND PUBLISH IN REPOS ###
>> >
>> > This topic is also important, because if the change was merged through
>> > gerrit, it does not mean it is actually published ...  and requiere
>> > some deep investigation to know why it wasnt released or if it was
>> > even submitted (by maintainer)...
>> >
>> > On my previous project we allowed developer to submit the build
>> > themselves once the (their) changes files was merged and yes it was
>> > mandatory to push it.
>> >
>> > Note that could tracked easily if each change where associated to a
>> > BugId , then as long as the change is not released the bug would
>> > remain open in jira...  ( head to previous discusion
>> > https://lists.tizen.org/pipermail/dev/2014-January/001493.html and
>> > https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/Talk:Packaging/Guidelines )
>>
>> This can be done today. There is just no (or is there) a way to create a
>> filter in gerrit that would find "tizen" branches without submit and/or
>> accepted tags.
>
> I don't see a way to do this with Gerrit searches, and it does appear
> that the REST API supports this type of query.
>
> See
> https://gerrit-documentation.storage.googleapis.com/Documentation/2.8/rest-api-changes.html#get-included-in

Close but no cigar.

The way I see it done is:

1. For each repository (once in a while (while ~ 24h)):
1.1 Take the tip of the tizen branch
1.2 If it does not carry a submit/* tag turn on a big red lamp.

Such script needs to access git repositories AND (which would porbably
make it suitable for integration with gerrit) provide its output on via
Gerrit interface because no-one will (I won't[2]) care about repeated mail
notifications.

The API you refer to would require:

1. For each repository
1.1 Take the tip of the tizen branch.
1.2 Dig a bit for a latest commit that has Change-Id (according to
    Artem[1] with whom I fully agree) updates to changelog would bypass
    gerrit.
1.3 Do the query.

[1] https://lists.tizen.org/pipermail/dev/2014-January/001720.html

[2] I'd accept at most one nontification saying: you've got one or more
repositories waiting for submission. Then I'd go to Gerrit to see the
details.

Kind regards,
--
Łukasz Stelmach