[Dev] Is it possible to reuse the packages from previous build in subsequent builds

Madhu Kumar gogetit2717 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 08:08:40 GMT 2014

Hi All,

Is it a workable solution to use the already built RPMS packages in the
subsequent builds and reduce the over all build time?
For example, we know that toolchain packages also gets built when we build
Tizen platform sources. Is it possible to re-use these toolchain built RPMS
(from the very first build) in another new system so that the overall build
time there gets reduced?

Below is what I tried and was not successful. After analysis of the build
time, observed that webkit-efl package takes long time build. I tried
excluding this package from the build and observed that overall packages to
built came to around 410. Tried building it but many packages failed to
build giving "error nothing provides" :(

My idea is to reuse some of the built RPMS and other components, obtained
from the  fresh build, and reduce the over all build time on a new system.

Please provide any inputs or pointers for the same.

Thanks in advance.