[Dev] [Tizen Generic] pure Wayland image

ronan ronan.lemartret at open.eurogiciel.org
Wed Feb 19 16:50:34 GMT 2014

Hi all,
we are proud to announce the first Tizen Generic Image with pure Wayland
support.

For i586:
     -
http://download.tizen.org/snapshots/tizen/generic/generic-wayland-ia32/latest/images/generic-wayland-mbr-i586/

For x86_64
     -
http://download.tizen.org/snapshots/tizen/generic/generic-wayland-x86_64/latest/images/generic-wayland-mbr-x86_64/

Pure Wayland means:
   No X11 library is used to build the Image, and so no X11 server.

To easily test the image, I recommended you to use bmaptool.
    https://source.tizen.org/fr/documentation/reference/bmaptool

#wget
http://download.tizen.org/snapshots/tizen/generic/generic-wayland-ia32/latest/images/generic-wayland-mbr-i586/tizen_20140218.16_generic-wayland-mbr-i586-sda.bmap
#wget
http://download.tizen.org/snapshots/tizen/generic/generic-wayland-ia32/latest/images/generic-wayland-mbr-i586/tizen_20140218.16_generic-wayland-mbr-i586-sda.raw.bz2
#sudo bmaptool copy
tizen_20140218.16_generic-wayland-mbr-i586-sda.raw.bz2 /dev/sd${X}

With bmaptool, booting Tizen:Generic on an UBS key should be fast and easy.

(1)
All Tizen packages are not ported to pure Wayland yet:
If you are interested in porting applications to pure Wayland this wiki
page should be helpful:
     - https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/X11_equivalent_Wayland_calls_and_notes

Do not hesitate to participate to our pure Wayland portage revision.
     - https://review.tizen.org/gerrit/#/

(2)
For now, the image does not include the groups:
  - Generic Bluetooth
  - Generic Desktop Applications
  - Generic Multimedia
  - Generic Webkit
But lot of packages from those groups, can be installed with zypper into
the Wayland image.

(3)
Some packages or group of packages can't be easily ported into a pure
Wayland profile, because they are deeply linked to X11.

e.g.:
livebox-service is a library coded with X11.
So livebox-service and packages depending on it, can't be integrated
into pure Wayland without code development.

livebox-service https://review.tizen.org/gerrit/#/c/16582/
data-provider-master https://review.tizen.org/gerrit/#/c/16583/
data-provider-slave https://review.tizen.org/gerrit/#/c/16584/
livebox https://review.tizen.org/gerrit/#/c/16585/