[Dev] Jira worflow enhancement for PTREL project possible ?

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Tue Mar 18 08:45:24 GMT 2014

It was <2014-03-18 wto 04:20>, when Jin, ChengjiangX wrote:
> [...]

In which workflow? I can see it in:

https://bugs.tizen.org/jira/browse/TINF-353
https://bugs.tizen.org/jira/browse/TINF-429

And what does Accepted mean? And how does moving from "Released" to
"Reopened" differ from moving directly to "Accepted" as arrows suggest?

>> Let's take a look at https://bugs.tizen.org/jira/browse/PTREL-156
>> Indeed transitions have their names too. But why is there transition
>> From Assigned to New and the transitions is labeled "New"?
> Here's a principle for the names of states and transitions. The states
> use adjective or past tense, and the transitions often use verb. For
> instance, if there's state named "Assigned", the transition often use
> the verb "Assign". Here the transition "New" just like a verb. Any
> better word suggestion for this transition name "New"?

OK let's take our PTREL-156. I get the convention you've described
above, and still there must be something wrong with me because I
completely do not understand why when a bug that became "Assigned",
hence is not "New" anymore, becomes "New" again? OK, the bug might be
moved from "Assigned" state to a state that looks exactly like "New" and
introducing a new state just because we do not want to move back to
"New" is pointless. But definitely the transition from "Assigned" to
"New" should not be named "New" because the bug is not getting any newer
than it was in "Assigned" state. There is no "second freshness"[*]. I
would call the transition "Unassign" (if moving from "Assigned" to "New"
actually means removing asignee). However, I don't think such transition
should be possible. Once a bug is assigned the only way for an assignee
to get rid of it is to find a person who would take the responsibility.

[*] http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mikhail_Bulgakov
--
Łukasz Stelmach