[Dev] New Tizen Bluetooth Framwork (NTB) wiki page

Kis, Zoltan zoltan.kis at intel.com
Mon May 5 14:55:14 GMT 2014

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 12:25 AM, Xu, Martin <martin.xu at intel.com> wrote:
> We have created the wiki page for NTB.
> https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/NTB_Architecture

Hello,

I have some questions for which you likely have answers, but it would
be good to cover them in the document.

1) could you list the more elaborate use cases NTB solves and when NTB
is more useful than direct BlueZ access? If for some use cases one has
to access directly BlueZ anyway, why could not access BlueZ for
everything? That would be more consistent for an app developer, and
wouldn't have to care about possible alignment issues between the
wrapper and BlueZ.

2) for MAP and HFP, can NTB really act as a single proxy agent (single
session) for all apps? to my knowledge, one needs to register the app
for a session, so AFAIK the proxy NTB model would not work. Has this
been reviewed by Comms people (Marcel, Luiz, Johan)?

3) for HFP we prefer handling it not in a bluetooth service daemon,
but in phoned or dialer, since that allows prioritizing the whole call
chain separately and with minimal dependencies.

4.) Other functionality (messaging, contacts etc) may have their own
reasons to use or not to use NTB, and mostly they can already handle
BlueZ directly.
- If you expose the CAPI as a library, what dependencies does it bring?
- If an app does not use NTB, but uses BlueZ directly, what are the
consequences?
- For developers, what makes it worth learning to use a wrapper API,
and having one extra DBUS hop compared to direct access?

Best regards,
Zoltan