[Dev] Understanding Cynara scope.

Counihan, Tom tom.counihan at intel.com
Tue May 13 09:36:02 GMT 2014

Hi Folks,

Reading all the extensive traffic on the topic, I come away with a vision of the Cynara scope.
I would like to ask the question to get it validated.

Is Cynara's exclusive goal to service 'downloadable' Web applications from an 'app store'?

I'm inferring this from statements like
"The application, we'll call it A, is downloaded and installed at the user's request"
"In my current understanding, Cynara is targeted at web apps which run inside a controlled environment already (the web runtime) and can only access the host through these services"
"That's the whole reason that we need Cynara, so that the abstract "privileges" these apps are required to be allowed can be managed."

"> I still wonder whether we can apply the same concepts and mechanisms

> for app store apps also to system apps. Let's ignore that for now, though.

Of course we can. The biggest problem is that it would require changing programs that we're getting from the community, and we don't generally want to change them (for a number of reasons) if we can avoid it.."

As you can see I am attempting to decipher conversation that leads me to a perspective on what is in/out of Cynara scope in the absence of an explicit statement describing this.
What I am missing is an express statement as to what Cynara is focused on servicing and what it is not.

I ventured over to Jira - https://bugs.tizen.org/jira/browse/PTF-198 - and get this "Services that are being used by applications need to control if the caller has sufficient privileges to call each API.", which is reaffirmed in the Cynara wiki. The terminology "application" in this context is ambiguous - it could mean exclusively downloadable we apps, or also additionally mean what Patrick calls "System Apps".

If I understand the Smack Three Domain model, it identifies a "User domain is comprised of the services that interact directly with the person using the Tizen system and the data those services maintain".
If I apply my understanding to the terminology on the Cynara thread, I could infer that the project is exclusively focused on servicing Downloadable web applications that use this user domain - correct?

Can someone help me here?

Warm Regards
Tom.

INTEL
Automotive Solutions Division (ASD)

Intel Shannon,
Brookvale Plaza,
East Park,
Shannon,
Co. Clare,
Ireland

Tel : +353 61 477718

Intel Shannon Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263
Business address: Dromore House, East Park, Shannon, Co. Clare