[Dev] Common/Generic profile images usability

Manuel Bachmann manuel.bachmann at open.eurogiciel.org
Thu May 15 15:24:10 GMT 2014

Hi Roman,

I provided most of the code for the "tz-launcher" program you are referring
to.

I just started a Weston with the FBDev backend, verified that GL rendering
was inactive, and "tz-launcher" worked as expected. It was on a real
device, though ; VMWare may be different.

So in order to help you, my questions will be :

1) Do you see the background ? (gulf sea with some islands)

2) Are you able to run tz-launcher in a reduced mode with this command
(switch to a VT by doing "Ctrl-Alt-F2" e.g.) :
$ tz-launcher /usr/share/applications/weston-terminal.desktop

3) If it segfaults, could you post a backtrace of the following :
$ zypper install gdb
$ gdb tz-launcher
$ run /usr/share/applications/weston-terminal.desktop
(it crashes)
$ bt

Regards,

> Hi, please see below
>
> On 05/15/2014 06:42 PM, Roman Kubiak wrote:
> > Helo again.
> >
> > I ditched vmware due to licensing issues for now, but thank you for the
> help i know how to fix it and i understand how to get things running.
> >
> > I jumped to our own emulator based on qemu (there is a very fresh piece
> of code on tizen.org). I got it to build and run the Common image, weston
> shows up but starting anything is causing a segfault in the tz-launcher
> process.
> > Though i was not able to start weston with the DRM backend, it's running
> on fbdev. The VIGS/Yagl implementation in the kernel/qemu might not be
> wayland ready,
> Actually, VIGS/YaGL already runs wayland, you can refer to Tizen IVI
> emulator, it uses tizen.org QEMU and runs Tizen IVI image. I'm not sure
> about Common, I never
> actually tried it.
>
> > but the FBDEV stuff seems to work fine. I don't know what tz-launcher is
> doing that it's doing a
> > segfault, i was able to start a weston terminal and that seems to work.
> >
> > The small fix i had to do was adding the display user to the video
> group. Also the kernel for the emulator needs to be rebuilt (the default
> config in the emulator-kernel repo assumes that the root disk is /dev/vda
> and has that hard-coded in a minimal
> > initramfs that builds with the kernel)
> >
> > Could someone tell me if tz-launcher might need DRM and that's why it's
> crashing or is that something else i'd need to check ?
> >
> > best regards
> >
> > On 05/14/2014 07:15 PM, VanCutsem, Geoffroy wrote:
> >>
> >> Quick update:
> >>

> >> I got the Tizen Common Weston desktop up and running under VMware using
> this image:
> http://download.tizen.org/releases/daily/tizen/common/common-wayland-x86_64/tizen_20140513.6/
> >>

> >> The quickest way is to modify the /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf file and
> add ‘security=none’ to the kernel command-line (workaround for
> https://bugs.tizen.org/jira/browse/TIVI-2964), a more permanent
> workaround (but not a complete fix) would be to modify
> >> the kernel config to have vmwgfx built-in (instead of a module). I have
> also verified that such modifications solves the issue (and you can keep
> security turned on in that case which you really really want).
> >>

> >> I can push a patch to have ‘vmwgfx’ built-in to Tizen Common. In
> general, it may be good to re-use some of the specific kernel configs that
> are described here also in the Tizen Common kernel:
> >> https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/IVI/artem-kernel#Kernel_configuration(look for those that are documented as useful for VMware).
> >>

> >> Geoffroy

Regards,

*Manuel BACHMANN Tizen Project VANNES-FR*