[Dev] libcynara API

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Mon May 19 12:57:49 GMT 2014

On Mon, 2014-05-19 at 11:58 +0000, Zhang, Xu U wrote:
> > Before we proceed, let's gather more information about future use of
> > libcynara:
> >
> >      1. Crosswalk: can someone from the Crosswalk team please describe
> >         how they will call libcynara? Is the synchronous API good
> >         enough? Is the thread-safety outlined above going to be relied
> >         upon or irrelevant? Do you need check cancellation? If you need
> >         something asynchronous, what drives the main event loop?
> [Zhang Xu ] Below is my personal consideration, which maybe not correct.

Who is able to represent the official, canonical position from the
Crosswalk team on this matter?

> 1. How crosswalk call libcynara?
>  There are two phase to call libcynara.
>  a. One is for registering application's permission, which is happed when installing, updating and removing an web application. The permission or policy DB should be maintained by Cynara. The installer will call libcynara to update policy DB.
>  b. The other is for checking permission when an sensitive web API is
> called in runtime. For Tizen device APIs, extension process should
> call SAPI(which call libcynary) to check. But for W3C APIs which run
> in browser process, browser process may call libcynary directly or
> send an IPC message to some plugin which will call libcynary.

Please choose one approach for the browser process and then verify that
calling Cynara does not block unrelated web apps or rendering.

> 2. Is the synchronous API good enough?
> For the cases I list above, I think synchronous API is enough.

Personally I am not convinced, but I'm not responsible for Crosswalk.
If the Crosswalk team is fine with the proposed libcynara API as it
stands today, then we can focus on the other uses of libcynara in this
mail thread.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.