[Dev] Common/Generic profile images usability

Stanislav Vorobiov s.vorobiov at samsung.com
Mon May 26 13:13:43 GMT 2014

On 05/26/2014 04:33 PM, VanCutsem, Geoffroy wrote:

> [...]
Before trying to "push it upstream" I think we must first answer one question - what features do we need for upstream ? This solution provides DRM graphics stack with OpenGL ES 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0
support. This is embedded GPU virtualization, we don't provide desktop OpenGL support or Direct X support. Our initial goal was to create a solution that could be used to run different tizen profiles in QEMU,
such as mobile, gear, ivi, etc. with large variety of host OSes and host GPUs. If we want to send this upstream, we'll probably need to provide "full blown" GPU virtualization solution which will include
Direct X and full OpenGL support and this is currently out of the scope of this project.

>>> it seems to me that patching the various components is creating a number
>> of issues that could be avoided.
>> IMHO for emulator user-space we only need to install emulator-yagl instead
>> of mesa, what else do we need to patch ?
> My (perhaps naïve) question below really was: do we really need this package? Could we not use Mesa instead for the emulator image? Perhaps another way of formulating this question is: shouldn't the upstream emulator-yagl project be Mesa?
If you look at emulator-yagl package sources you'll notice that it's not related to mesa at all, this is not mesa source patched to run on emulator, it's a separate OpenGL ES implementation. Kind of
like ARM has their own OpenGL implementation for Mali, Imagination technologies for PowerVR, etc. Yes, it could have been implemented inside mesa source tree I guess, but the way it is now is that it's a separate
project.