[Dev] Smack and xattr relationship - raw flash

Schaufler, Casey casey.schaufler at intel.com
Wed May 28 13:44:27 GMT 2014

Filesystems that don't support xattrs can be used with Smack,
but files cannot be labeled individually. Instead, mount options
(smackfsroot and smackfsdefault) are used to specify the Smack
labels of all the files on the filesystem. You could construct a
system using only single-label filesystems if you had to.

I have not tried the xattr support in ubifs, but the literature
claims that it is "much improved" as of early last year. If
the xattr support in ubifs functions properly you will be able
to use it instead of ext4.