[Dev] Integration of state management in Weston Wayland.

Dominig ar Foll (Intel OTC) dominig.arfoll at fridu.net
Tue Oct 7 12:33:08 GMT 2014

Hello;

I would like to bring an architecture topic to the forefront of our
community.

In IVI profile there is a strong desire to subcontract the control of
state change for application to a resource manager (by default Murphy).
That type of control can be applied to any resource such as the sound
and graphic.
In order to deliver the later, Murphy must be able to retrieve the AppID
associated to a surface.

Obviously, we would like to create a solution which works for HTML5 and
Native Apps.

For native App the model is quite simple in the sense that the App
requesting the surface to Weston/Wayland is identifiable by it's AppID
(which equals its Smack label).

the case of HTML5 is far more "interesting" as shows the bug TC-1691.
the surface request comes from the Browser process which is common to
all HTML Apps for a given user.
In that case the Browser process needs to store the AppID of the
requesting App, pushes it to Weston/Wayland (the preferred mechanism
still needs to be defined).
Depending of the selected model, Weston/Wayland may need to check that
the requesting App has the privilege to act as a proxy for a third party
before accepting the request (what would be the case of Crosswalk
rendering process).

Then Weston/Wayland would need to implement a secured and trusted
interface to provide the information to Murphy and accept enforcement in
return.

Your view and idea to solve that issue are welcome.

Regards

--
Dominig ar Foll
Senior Software Architect