[Dev] tizen-common kernel xattr memory leak

José Bollo jose.bollo at open.eurogiciel.org
Thu Oct 9 09:42:50 GMT 2014

Hi Janusz,

On gio, 2014-10-09 at 11:20 +0200, Janusz Kozerski wrote:
> Hi Stephane,
>
> I have a question about tizen-commom kernel. I think there is some issue in this
> kernel. It looks like the kernel have a memory leak while writing to the xattrs.
> Could you check it?
>
> I've wrote a simple bash script-test. This command will add a random text value
> to a "user.test" xattr for every file on a filesystem (these xattrs shoudn't
> break anything):
> ---
> find / \( -fstype rootfs -o -fstype ext4 \) -exec setfattr -n user.test1 -v
> $(cat /dev/urandom | tr -dc 'a-zA-Z0-9' | fold -w 228 | head -n 1) '{}' \;
> 2>/dev/null
> ---

I've just tried to do the same but I replaced setfattr with cat
> /dev/null

And I also see on my image that the used memory raise from 442kB to
1265kB.

I'm guessing that the leak is coming from the file caching of the
kernel.

In man 5 proc, I found that "echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" reverts.
Can you try?

Best regards
José