[Dev] Improving application database

Puustinen, Ismo ismo.puustinen at intel.com
Thu Oct 9 11:34:42 GMT 2014

Dominig, thanks for your comments!

I think there is a slight misunderstanding -- I wasn't proposing
IVI-specific changes. AIL is a library for accessing the application
database, used in all Tizen profiles as far as I know. My proposition
was extending the library in all profiles to support adding arbitrary
key-values to application metadata. This mechanism could then used by
anyone for any purpose, including adding the application metadata that
ICO Homescreen is now having in private configuration files.

Buxton could be a good choice for (re-)implementing the internals of the
application database. However, I think that would be an implementation
detail only -- the current sqlite model could also be extended. I think
we need to try to maintain the API stability because AIL/AUL is used all
over and keep Buxton below the API  surface. Dividing application
configuration data to all the places it is now _and_ Buxton would just
add a new component to the problem.

Ismo