[Dev] ToyBox task

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Oct 14 10:48:04 GMT 2014

On Tuesday 14 October 2014 19:25:25 WaLyong Cho wrote:
> On 10/14/2014 05:50 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On Tuesday 14 October 2014 17:15:14 WaLyong Cho wrote:
> >> I'd like to introduce new toolbox like tool. That is named as *tinybox*.
> >> We have plan to open that on github. That is not under IP verification.
> >> I think that will be soon opened.
> >>
> >> *tinybox* is using Apache license.
> >
> > What are the advantages of tinybox over toybox?
>
> This question make me suffer. :-)
> Both *box tools are very similar. I think most advantage is we can
> handle that ourselves. I wonder this can make some noise such like we
> can also add security facilities on toybox. But I just meant we can add
> functionality or feature to tinybox easily. Most of opensource projects
> are slower than we want.

Hi WaLyong

We can turn that argument around and say that an own project is actually
worse, since we have to maintain it and we won't be getting updates and fixes
from other people.

I don't think the speed of development is an issue. If we have people to spare
to develop tinybox in the first place, then those people can contribute to
toybox and, if necessary, take maintainership and drive development to the
speed we need. Changes that don't get integrated upstream can be kept as a
patch for a short while in our tree too.