[Dev] Gumd usage in building images

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Fri Oct 17 07:37:42 GMT 2014

On Fri, 2014-10-17 at 09:18 +0200, Dominig ar Foll (Intel OTC) wrote:
> Hello;
>
> when looking at off line mode (use during image creation) remember that
> we have a fast growing community planing to use Yocto and so your
> solution needs to work with Yocto as well.

For those not familiar with Yocto, some background:
      * Tools manipulating the root filesystem typically get compiled
        for the host system (for example, your Intel-based laptop
        running some Linux distro) and then get invoked to modify files
        used in the target (for example, ARM). Make sure that your files
        don't have architecture dependencies (LSB vs. MSB, 32 vs 64).
      * If that's not possible, tools are run under qemu.
      * chroot is not used (because it would require root privileges),
        so tools need to support manipulating files not at their final
        destination (for example, tmp/sysroot/usr/ instead of /usr).
      * The environment prepared for the tools only consists of env
        variables. There's no concept of spawning additional daemons
        (doesn't matter whether it's dbus-daemon or gumd).

For gumd, a mode where the client tool embeds the daemon code directly
would be the best solution IMHO. A --sysroot parameter similar to gcc
would probably be useful/needed, too.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.