[Dev] [openssl] upstream branch update

Markus Lehtonen markus.lehtonen at linux.intel.com
Tue Oct 21 11:12:10 GMT 2014

Hi,

On Mon, 2014-10-20 at 15:38 +0200, Janusz Kozerski wrote:
> I've seen that on platform/upstream/openssl repository on upstream branch,
> changes are pulled from upstream as a one big blob of code. Wouldn't be better
> if we pull commits from upstream as they are? We can have full git history
> instead of these blobs.

The current 'upstream' branch has most probably been created/maintained
with 'gbs import <upstream-release-tarball>'.

> I've pushed to a review a commit with update to 1.0.1j in existing convenction.
> https://review.tizen.org/gerrit/#/c/29027/1
>
> I've also prepared a sandbox branch with the same upstream changes (with full
> git history) rebased on tizen.org upstream branch:
> https://review.tizen.org/gerrit/gitweb?p=platform%2Fupstream%2Fopenssl.git;a=sho
> rtlog;h=refs%2Fheads%2Fsandbox%2Fjkozerski%2Fupstream
>
> We should choose one way of moving changes from upstream.
> We should do the same for tizen branch.

Just a note that when tracking upstream directly (like in your sandbox)
the content of gbs-generated tarball (usually) differs from the real
released tarball. Basically, it's missing the stuff added with "make
dist" by the upstream project.

A way to combine upstream git and upstream release tarballs is to use
the --upstream-vcs-tag option of gbs import. This will maintain the
upstream git history, but in addition, add the diff between the "real"
upstream release tag (defined by --upstream-vcs-tag) and upstream
release tarball as one commit on top of the "real" upstream release tag.
E.g. in case of openssl something like:
  $ gbs import --upstream-vcs-tag=OpenSSL_1_0_1j openssl-1.0.1j.tar.gz

You could try it out and see if you find it useful.

Thanks,
  Markus