[Dev] [openssl] upstream branch update

Markus Lehtonen markus.lehtonen at linux.intel.com
Tue Oct 21 11:38:38 GMT 2014

Hi,

On Tue, 2014-10-21 at 10:57 +0200, Janusz Kozerski wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Do you think that it would be better to keep current history of upstream branch
> and cherry-pick upstream history from version 1.0.1h to 1.0.1j (as I did on my
> sandbox) or overwrite whole upstream branch with upstream history (force push)?

Please, at least do not overwrite existing upstream/* tags.

One way would be just to merge the real upstream git version (v1.0.1j)
into the existing upstream branch. This would not break the git history.
Then, in future you'd only need to git-merge new upstream versions into
the upstream branch. This would preserve the real upstream Git history
(with the same commit ids than in the upstream git) and avoid
cherry-picking.

You can also consider importing upstream release tarballs as before,
but, with using the --upstream-vcs-tag option that I mentioned in my
previous email.

> And second question: Are merges from upstream branch to tizen branch OK? Do we
> want to merge upstream to tizen, or we want to keep linear history and
> cherry-pick commits from upstream to tizen?

In the current maintenance model version bumps should be done by
rebasing the tizen branch on the desired upstream version. Otherwise the
GBS patch generation will not function as desired (it'll generate one
big diff instead of individual one-per-commit patches).

Thanks,
  Markus