[Dev] Enhancing development workflow

Stéphane Desneux stephane.desneux at open.eurogiciel.org
Fri Oct 24 12:58:24 GMT 2014

Hi all,

+1

Let me summarize (and make small adjustments on Maciej's proposal):
- for "big" updates (ex: systemd), we could harmonize the naming and
have a "devel_common" branch (in place of Maciej's for-next branch),
submitted and built in the devel:Tizen:Common project, with images
published in snapshots/devel/common. If it's a profile-specific package,
the branch could be named devel_<profile>
- when the devel_common branch is ok, we rename the current tizen branch
to tizen_x.y.z (x.y.z.= the version of the package, as indicated in the
spec file). This way, we don't lose the possibility to build old
versions. Then we create a new tizen branch from devel_common (or rename
'devel_common' to 'tizen')
- correct me if I'm wrong: the above rules would work only if the
upstream branch always goes forward (push --force should be forbidden on
the upstream branch). Otherwise, some inconsistencies can be introduced
for old tizen_x.y.z branches.

Finally a question: do we still need pristine-tar branches ? Using
upstream gits is far better IMO (even in case where the upstream branch
is maintained only on tizen.org)

FYI, we'll have to upgrade ~100 packages soon to align with Yocto
versions. This makes Maciej's proposal even more interesting !

Best regards.
--
Stéphane Desneux
Intel OTC - Vannes/FR