[Dev] RPM installer

José Bollo jose.bollo at open.eurogiciel.org
Tue Oct 28 10:25:20 GMT 2014

Hi all,

I have a question about the project (or package) rpm-installer.

Is this package needed?

I don't think so and I would frankly be happy to remove it.

Here is why.

a. In multi-user environment, it will be difficult to manage databases
and dependencies as rpm is expected to manage it. In other words, rpm is
not well suited for mutli-user environment.

b. The current package is not ready. It needs developments to be WAYLAND
compatible, headless compatible, multi-user compatible.

c. It is breaking a clean separation between the system (the platform)
and the the applications. The platform (tizen) is currently based on rpm
and zypper to create images, install system packages and update the
system. The applications are installed on top of that system, using a
framework that improves their reliability (in particular their security)
based on privileges and features. Privileges and features are not part
of RPM and will need some modifications to be handled (or to rely on 3rd
party to be compliant, what is risky).

d. The natives and hybrid applications have to be installed using tizen
packages (.tpk). It will manage the privileges as expected.

e. For the simplicity, reducing the count installation mechanisms is
good. Many developers or integrators would be confused by the count of
possibilities.

f. Removing the rpm installer doesn't prevent integrators to use it. But
as said in (c), it allow a more clear distinction of the platform and
the applications.

I would like to get your feedbacks on that topic. Maybe Am I missing
some important issue. But if an agreement is found, I would like to see
the rpm-installer removed.

Best regards
José Bollo

[1] two packages are actually in gerrit:
 - framework/base/rpm-installer
 - platform/core/base/rpm-installer