[Dev] [Emulator] Tizen emulator development plan

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Tue Oct 28 11:07:25 GMT 2014

On Tue, 2014-10-28 at 19:46 +0900, SeokYeon Hwang wrote:
> First, I write a brief description of the following features.
>
> -  Features/brillcodec_2i
> The "Tizen emulator" provides the virtual CODEC device that encodes/decodes multimedia resources using host CPUs. In this branch, we have tried to adopt video acceleration modules (e.g. VA-API, DXVA) in order to enhance performance.
>
> - Features/smp
> Enabled guest SMP(i.e. multi-core).
>
> - Features/qt_dr
> Supports direct rendered emulator UI, which is fully rendered on Host GPU and implemented in QT.

Are these Tizen-specific features? Do you plan to work on upstreaming
these and other Tizen-specific changes?

Maintaining large patches of upstream projects in Tizen is not the
preferred mode of operation.

> We use only "sdk/emulator/qemu.git" for emulator.
> Git paths started with "platform/" are for platform.

I know, but what does that mean in the context of qemu? Running qemu
*on* Tizen? Who maintains that?

At least
https://review.tizen.org/gerrit/gitweb?p=platform%2Fupstream%
2Fqemu-accel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs%2Fheads%2Ftizen show some activity
this year to keep the package working. If no-one uses the resulting
qemu, we should remove it from 3.0.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.