[Dev] Enhancing development workflow

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Wed Oct 29 09:20:20 GMT 2014

On Tue, 2014-10-28 at 17:05 +0000, Bartosh, Eduard wrote:
> > So you're describing another type of submissions, which should be
> handled by the users themselves: it'd be the same mechanisme as
> sandboxes in gerrit, but for builds. And when you're here, you're not
> far from using home projects in OBS, which is not what we want.
>
> Yeah, it would be good to isolate this types of submissions in another
> namespace (home:devel: or something like that). However, I don't agree
> that prerelease projects can't be used for this purpose right away.
> The only thing which needs to be done is to agree with RE that they
> don't touch submission until devs say it's ok to integrate it. Not a
> big deal from my point of view.

I disagree about this being not a big deal. This relies on out-of-band,
unrecorded communication between people, which is error-prone. What if
one RE knows not to accept, but some other RE doesn't and accidentally
accepts?

Tagging different "gbs submit"s with the same tag has a similar problem:
while the developer is in the process of adding submits, the group
submission is incomplete and must not be accepted. If for some reason
the developer gets interrupted, the group submission is left in an
incomplete state and might get accepted accidentally (assuming that it
compiles).

Unfortunately I don't have a constructive proposal for fixing this.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.